How to remove glue from plastic easily?
After removing a label or a sticker on a plastic or a bottle, we often find traces of glue which are unfortunately difficult to clean.
So here are some tips and tricks to help you remove glue from plastic quickly and easily!
1. Remove glue from plastic with oil
If you have just taken off a label or sticker on a bottle or other plastic surface and traces of glue remain then oil is the best solution.
- Soak a rag or cotton ball with vegetable oil and rub the traces of glue.
- Repeat with a new cloth until the glue is completely gone.
- Rinse the plastic with soapy water and pat dry to complete the trick.
Avoid using an abrasive brush or sponge to remove the glue, as you risk scratching and damaging the plastic.
2. Remove glue from stickers with WD-40
Another product we all have at home that can effectively clean glue stains from plastic and glass is WD-40.
- Shake the product well and spray it directly on the glue residue.
- Let the WD-40 act for 10 minutes and rub with a dry cloth.
- Repeat as needed to thoroughly remove all traces of glue from the surface.
It’s really a great product and a great trick to easily remove glue residue!
3. Hot water and vinegar to remove traces of glue
You can also keep it simple with hot soapy water and white vinegar. Here’s how to do this trick:
- Mix hot water with dish soap and white vinegar.
- Soak a non-abrasive cloth or sponge in the mixture and dab the traces of glue.
- Let the mixture soak up the glue residue well and rub the plastic with a new cloth.
- Use both a hard and soft object to scrape and remove any remaining glue residue.
If the glue is well stuck to the plastic then replace the white vinegar with a solvent. But be careful not to discolor the plastic with this product.
4. Apply cleansing milk to the glue stain
Another grandma’s trick that can be used to remove leftover glue residue from plastic is to use a cleansing milk.
- Pour some makeup remover on a cotton ball or cloth and rub the glue-stained plastic.
- Scrub and add makeup remover again until the glue is completely gone.
- Finally, clean the plastic with soapy water before drying the surface with a new cloth.
In the same « kind » of product, but more powerful, you can also apply White-Spirit to the traces of glue. In addition to being effective on plastic, it is effective in cleaning stubborn stains on glass.
5. Heat the traces of glue with a hair dryer
Finally, a last trick to overcome traces of glue on plastic is to use the heat of the hair dryer.
- Blast the hot air from the hair dryer directly onto the glue residue.
- Continue until the glue heats up and melts and remove the excess with your fingers or an object.
- Finish by rinsing the plastic object with warm, soapy water.
You can also use this hair dryer trick to remove dry silicone more easily and quickly.