How to remove pee smell from a mattress?
Human urine or cat pee, even after the mess has been thoroughly cleaned, the smell of urine can be difficult to completely remove from mattresses and other textiles.
Dad of 2 children, wetting the bed was common a few years ago. Here are some tips and tricks to completely remove the smell of urine from a mattress.
1. Remove the smell of urine on mattresses with baking soda
Of course, before testing these anti-odor tips and tricks, it is important to clean the pee stain thoroughly. So if you haven’t already, take a few minutes to read these tips for removing a urine stain from a mattress.
Well now, here’s how to deodorize your mattress with baking soda:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the old urine stain.
- Rub with your hand to make the baking soda penetrate well into the fabric.
- Leave for several hours and vacuum to finish the trick.
In addition to being an excellent natural deodorizer, baking soda can also be used to clean the remaining urine stain.
2. Remove the smell of pee on a mattress with white vinegar
If the smell of urine is very strong, even after cleaning the stains well, then white vinegar can help you as you will discover in this tip.
I agree with you, white vinegar also has a strong smell, but the smell of vinegar will dissipate quickly unlike the smell of urine.
- Spray pure white vinegar directly on and around the urine stain.
- Let dry completely and sprinkle with baking soda.
- Leave for another 1-2 hours and vacuum to finish.
This trick is ideal if baking soda alone fails to completely remove the bad smell of human and animal urine trapped in a mattress.
3. Grandma’s recipe against urine smell
If you’re like me and like to try different grandmother’s recipes then here’s one to make at home against the smell of urine.
I personally tested this trick to deodorize a carpet on which my dog had peed recently and it worked very well. So why not test it on a mattress!?
Mix the following ingredients in a spray bottle:
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil.
- Finally fill the bottle with hot water.
Then spray the mixture directly on the mattress at the level of the old urine stain and let it dry to thoroughly deodorize the textile.
4. Remedy to effectively deodorize a mattress
Here is one last home remedy to effectively and quickly eliminate that bad smell of urine on your mattress or your child’s mattress.
For this trick you need to mix these 3 ingredients:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons of 70° alcohol
Spray the solution directly where the urine stain was and let it dry. Once dry, the smell of urine will be gone.