How to remove the burnt smell? Eliminate the bad smell of burning with essential oils or with baking soda or simply by airing the house!
When cooking and burning food, the burnt smell spreads quickly in the apartment! I offer you 10 tips to remove the smell of burning in the house!
1. Ventilate the house to remove the burning smell
Before moving on to tips and tricks, the very first thing to do to successfully remove the smell of burning in a house is to air it out!
Open the windows to ventilate!
It doesn’t matter what is causing this smell; burnt food in the oven, smell of smoke or other burning problem in the house, we open the windows wide!
If you have an air exchanger in the house, it is operated at « max » in air exchange mode with the outside to quickly remove the bad smell of burning.
No matter the smell to remove, you have to ventilate! Here are some other tips and tricks to check out: How to change the smell of a house?
2. Clean the room where the burning smell is present
Once the windows are open, everything must be cleaned to quickly eliminate this bad smell of burning in the house.
If the cause of this smell is burnt food then we collect everything and we will throw everything in the compost bin outside the house.
Wash the room well!
Once the source has been eliminated, we move on to cleaning the room and the various surfaces that may contain this bad smell. We wash:
- work surface and counter
- kitchen utensils and cooking appliances
- kitchen cabinets as needed
- the walls
If you have burned your pan this article will certainly please you: How to clean a burnt pan?
3. Make a lemon-based odor remedy
A first trick to get rid of the burnt smell is to use the fragrant power of lemon. Here’s how to do this trick:
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling add lemon wedges.
- Turn off the fire and leave to act for about thirty minutes.
You can also add slices of lime, orange or better cloves in boiling water.
Effective in getting rid of the smell of fish in the kitchen!
This trick is effective in also eliminating cooking odors as in this article: Fishy smell in the house.
4. Absorb the burning smell with baking soda
It’s amazing what you can do with baking soda in a house. Whether for cleaning or deodorizing, baking soda is a product to have at home!
- Pour baking soda into several small containers.
- Arrange the bowls in the kitchen and elsewhere in the house (everywhere the burning smell is very present).
Baking soda absorbs the smell of burning and other bad cooking odors, for example.
5. Remove burnt smell from fabrics
How to remove the burnt smell impregnated on the fabrics? If the burning smell is present in the fabric of a sofa, a carpet or other fabric objects, baking soda can once again save your life!
- Sprinkle a good amount of baking soda on the carpet or fabric sofa.
- Leave to act for several hours or better overnight.
- Vacuum to remove everything.
In the end, the baking soda will have absorbed all that bad smell from the sofa and fabric!
6. Make an anti-odor spray
If the smell is light why not camouflage or at least mask this burning smell in the house somewhat?
Here’s how to make this smelling and sanitizing spray:
- Add an equal amount of water and lemon juice to a spray bottle
- Add a few drops of lemon essential oil for more efficiency
- Spray the solution around the house to mask the burn.
7. Burn an Armenia paper to remove odors
Have you ever heard of Armenia paper? This product has been around for a very long time and is still used today to deodorize and purify the air in a home.
- Detach a small strip of Armenian paper and burn.
- Burn in rooms where the smell of burning is very present.
Attention, although the paper of Armenia does not cause flame if it is put in contact with a flammable surface such as the fabric it can burn!
Armenia paper can be used to remove various odors such as:
- the smell of burning
- the smell of mold
- the smell of cooking
- the smell of damp
- musty smell, etc.
8. Remove the burnt smell with vinegar
Vinegar, like baking soda, is a natural product that you absolutely must have at home at all times.
Widely used by our grandmothers for household chores, white vinegar is still widely used today to clean and deodorize effectively.
Here’s how to use it against the burnt smell:
- Heat white vinegar and pour into bowls.
- Arrange the bowls of vinegar in different places in the kitchen and around the house.
The vinegar will help absorb the burning smell in the house.
9. Use eucalyptus essential oil
Essential oils are really very effective when it comes to cleaning up or rather to mask a bad smell such as burning for example.
Here’s another easy-to-make odor-busting spray:
- Add 1 liter of water to a spray bottle.
- Add 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract.
- Spray the solution around the house.
You can also use lavender and lemongrass essential oils which are also very good at neutralizing bad smells.