How to remove the smell of cigarettes in a house? What is more unpleasant than a bad smell of tobacco that runs through the rooms of the house or worse from the car? The smell is unbearable and even more so for those who do not smoke.
So here are some good ones tips and tricks to remove the smell of cigarettes in a house and different surfaces.
1. Remove cigarette smell with baking soda
The sofa, the curtains, the carpet and all the fabrics in the house can quickly become impregnated with the bad smell of tobacco. As the smell of cigarettes penetrates deeply into the fabrics, they will have to be washed well to successfully eliminate this smell completely.
Here is how to remove the smell of cigarettes on a fabric curtain:
To remove tobacco smell from curtains, simply wash them in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and repeat as needed if the smell still persists.
You can also prepare this homemade recipe:
- Mix 3 cups of warm-hot water with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Spray the liquid directly on the curtains and carpets to remove the smell of cigarettes and other bad smells.
Here is also how to remove the smell of cigarettes on a fabric sofa:
- Sprinkle baking soda on the sofa in good quantity.
- Let the baking soda act for at least 4 hours.
- Vacuum the couch to completely remove the baking soda and repeat if the tobacco smell is still present.
And now here is how to remove cigarette smell from carpets and rugs:
- Spray a mixture of water, lemon and white vinegar over the entire surface of the carpet.
- Generously sprinkle the entire carpet with baking soda
- Leave the baking soda on overnight to completely absorb the tobacco smell.
- Next morning vacuum to finish cleaning.
Of course, you can also use this baking soda trick to get rid of bad cigarette smells in a car.
Whether it’s against the smell of tobacco or for other household chores in the house, you can buy baking soda right here:
- Natural product to deodorize and clean everything.
- Ideal for home maintenance.
- Multiple and easy uses.
If you are looking for other tips against this smell but more specifically for clothes, this article should interest you: What to do with stinky laundry?
2. Eliminate tobacco smell with essential oils
Essential oils are very popular in our homes. Whether for aromatherapy or to hide a bad smell, essential oils are an excellent trick.
Indeed, essential oils are excellent for camouflaging the smell of cigarettes in the house, a small apartment or even in a car.
You can use an essential oil diffuser or make your own scented mist:
- Add and mix 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil in 2 cups of cold water.
- Pour into a bottle and spray the solution on the walls, fabrics and floors of the house.
This essential oil trick is effective for a multitude of smells as you can read here: How to remove bad odors in a house?
3. Recipe for anti-cigarette smell spray
For those who like to make their own recipe and home remedy then here is an anti-odor spray.
For this anti cigarette smell spray you need:
- 2 cups of hot water.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil.
Mix all the ingredients well and then spray on furniture, floors and surfaces to quickly remove the smell of cigarettes everywhere in the house and in the car.
4. Remove the smell of cigarettes in a car
If you are used to smoking cigarettes in the car why not try to control and eliminate this bad smell for the well being of the other occupants? fdb
Using baking soda in the car as an odor remover:
As for in the house, baking soda is an excellent natural product to make the smell of cigarettes disappear. Here’s how to use it well:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on carpets and cloth car seats.
- Use a brush to thoroughly soak the carpets in the car.
- Let the baking soda act overnight.
- Use the vacuum cleaner to remove the baking soda from your carpets and car seats.
- Repeat as needed if the smell of tobacco is still present in the car.
Buy an odor destroyer:
You can also use an odor absorber which will be effective against the smell of cigarettes and other bad smells:
- Neutralizes tobacco and mold odors.
- For the car, home, changing rooms, etc.
- Up to 8 weeks of use
Discover several other tips and tricks against the smell of tobacco in a car in this article: How to remove the smell of cigarettes in a car?
5. Remove cigarette smell from walls with vinegar
White vinegar is an extremely popular natural product in our homes to clean, stain and deodorize everything. So why not use it to eliminate the smell of cigarettes on the walls, floors and ceilings of the house?
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Mix 2 cups of lukewarm hot water with 1 cup of white vinegar (adjust amounts for larger cleaning area).
- Use a clean, soft sponge or cloth to clean the interior walls to be treated.
- Rinse with a cloth and clean water without additives to avoid marking the walls with the vinegar and dry to finish.
Better to test this white vinegar cleaning tip on a small area to avoid damaging or discoloring the color of the paint on the walls.
6. Absorb tobacco smell with a damp sponge
How about trying a very simple trick that allows you to absorb the smell of cigarette smoke quickly? A damp sponge is the solution to your odor problem!
Here’s how to remove cigarette smell with a sponge:
- Take a large sponge and soak it in lukewarm water.
- Place the sponge in a bowl in a strategic place where cigarette smoke is present (You can also hang the sponge to absorb the smell of cigarettes).
- Wet the sponge from time to time so that it is effective longer.
7. Empty and clean ashtrays regularly
If you are a smoker it is very important to empty the ashtrays regularly. Ashtrays contain a very strong smell of cigarettes so it is important to empty them every day.
Thoroughly wash the ashtray:
In addition to emptying it, get into the habit of cleaning it with soapy water or better with a mixture of water and white vinegar to remove odors.
8. Ventilate the house to remove the smell of cigarettes
How do you get rid of the bad smell of cigarettes if you don’t take the time to properly ventilate the house?
Indeed, do not hesitate to open the windows very wide and to operate the ceiling fan if necessary in order to eliminate the bad smells of cigarettes in the house. Summer or winter, nothing beats the fresh air from outside to ventilate the house.
Running an air purifier:
Another effective way to remove tobacco smell from a home is to use an air purifier and freshener. This type of device eliminates other bad odors in addition to eliminating allergens in the air.
Of course if cigarette smoke is very present in your house (smoker’s house) even the most efficient air purifiers will not completely eliminate this smell.
If you are looking for tips to clean the air in the house, I recommend reading these tips: How to deodorize a house?