How to remove the smell of paint in a room? For having painted an entire house believe me that the smell of paint can quickly become a problem for the occupants.
So to sleep well tonight here are some practical tips and tricks for removing paint odors in the home.
1. Air the rooms to remove the fresh paint smell
The first solution to make the smell of fresh paint disappear as much as possible in a house is of course to ventilate as much as possible.
During and after the painting work we open the windows in the room and if possible we keep the door of this room closed the time to get rid of the smell of paint.
To make the paint dry faster!
It is important to open the windows to ventilate and remove bad smells, but also to dry the paint on the walls and ceilings more quickly.
Little tip: use a pedestal fan to move the air and thus evacuate bad odors more quickly from the room.
2. Heat vinegar against the smell of paint
A natural trick to remove paint odors from a room is to boil some white vinegar.
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Heat a saucepan with white vinegar (be careful not to burn yourself)
- Place the pan of vinegar in the room that has just been painted (in the center of the room and on a trivet)
- Add lemon and orange peels to the hot vinegar to release good smells at the same time.
3. Remove paint odors with baking soda
Another effective natural product against odors is baking soda! This product makes it possible to absorb and deodorize bad odors in small spaces.
- Fill several small bowls with baking soda and arrange them along the walls.
- Leave the door to the freshly painted bedroom closed to prevent odors from invading the whole house.
Even more effective than baking soda, you can also use green or white clay to absorb and eliminate the smell of paint in the room.
4. An anti-odor remedy with water and onion
For those who like to test grandmother’s remedies then here is one based on onion and water:
- Cut a large yellow onion into rings and place them in small bowls of water.
- Arrange the bowls around the room or house.
Although it is effective against paint odors, I do not recommend it for an entire house, but rather for a small room.
5. Other Tips for Removing Paint Smell
Here are a few other good tips and tricks to make the smell of paint in a room of the house disappear:
- Salt: Salt is also an odor absorbent! So if you don’t have baking soda, you can use bowls filled with salt to absorb the smell of paint in a small room.
- Hot milk: Depending on the size of the room, place several glasses of warm milk all over the floor to somewhat neutralize paint odors.
- Coffee grounds: Collect the grounds from your coffee and place them around your room (in saucers). The coffee smell will neutralize and replace the bad smell of paint.
- Crumb of bread: Cut out several pieces of bread crumbs and put some all over your freshly painted room.
- Lemon: Add lemon juice to a large bowl of boiling water and drop it on the floor to get rid of the paint smell.
Now how about discovering the right technique for painting walls? Here is a complete guide: How to paint an interior wall?