How to revive the black color of a garment? Black clothes lose their luster and shine over time and with many washes… This is completely normal!
If like me you have jeans, t-shirts or other black clothes, here are tips and tricks to revive the blackness of a garment.
1. A product to revive the blackness of clothes!
Before the tips and advice, I would like to introduce you to a product to revive or rather to dye black clothing that has become dull and lackluster: a fabric dye!
Dylon Fabric Dye
- Black dye for clothes and fabrics.
- Can be used directly in the washing machine.
- Dye available in several colors.
You can use this fabric dye to revive the black of clothes, but also bath towels and even bed sheets.
2. Cleaning and care of black fabrics and clothes
Before moving on to more specific tips for reviving black, it is important to know how to properly clean and maintain your black-colored clothes!
Here are some handy tips and tricks:
- Wash black clothes in cold water: To preserve the black color of your clothes and fabrics, it is important to always wash them in cold water (never in hot water).
- Wash black clothes inside out: For machine washing, it is recommended to wash black inside out, as well as for dark colored clothes.
- Air dry: Finally, one last piece of advice to preserve the blackness of a garment for as long as possible is to dry it in the open air but never in the sun.
3. Tip for fixing the black of a garment to the machine
Another important trick to keep clothes black longer despite repeated washing in the washing machine is to fix the black!
Here’s how to fix the color of a black fabric or garment:
- Add 1 cup of white vinegar to the drum of the washing machine.
- Place the black garment in the machine and wash in cold water on the quick cycle.
You can also use salt (about 110 gr of salt) to fix black clothes and other dark colors in the washing machine.
4. Revive dark linen with beer
A grandma’s trick that really helps revive and restore shine to black-colored clothes is beer!
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Pour a mug of beer into the washing machine when rinsing clothes.
- Repeat this trick every 4 or 5 washes to preserve the blackness of the fabrics.
5. Soak the garment in coffee
Another natural trick to restore the beautiful black color to your clothes and fabrics is to soak them in coffee.
Very simple as a trick, here’s how to do it:
- Soak the black garment in a basin of water and coffee (1 cup of coffee for 1 liter of water)
- Let the garment soak for 1 hour and rinse to thoroughly remove the coffee.
- Finish with a quick machine wash in cold water.
You can also add 1 cup of coffee directly during the machine rinse cycle. This is a great way to preserve the black of the fabric.
No matter the color of the clothes here is an article to learn how to fix the colors: How to make a garment no longer rub off?