How to stop having greasy hair?
We all have oily hair at some point. Shiny hair and excess sebum on the scalp, it is however possible to no longer have greasy hair… Or almost!
Here are some of my favorite recipes and tips for not having oily hair.
1. Change shampoo to stop having oily hair
One of the main causes of oily hair is the wrong choice of shampoo. And yes, if you haven’t already, wash your hair with a new shampoo to see if that solves your oily hair problem.
A very rich and very nourishing shampoo is to be avoided, especially if you have fine, fragile and greasy-looking hair.
What shampoo for oily hair?
To avoid having even oilier hair, use a mild shampoo with a neutral pH. You can also look at treatments and shampoos specially designed for oily hair.
Now that you know which shampoo to use, it’s important to know how to wash your hair properly!
Indeed, did you know that if you wash your hair too often, for example every day, your hair will become greasy very quickly.
Here are some tips and practical advice for washing your hair properly:
- Wash the hair every 2 or 3 days with a mild shampoo.
- Use dry shampoo for other days as needed.
- Gently rub the hair and scalp to avoid the production of sebum.
- Lather and rinse your hair with lukewarm water, especially not hot water.
You can also finish rinsing your hair in the shower with cold water to give your hair a nice shine.
3. Avoid the hair dryer to avoid oily hair
I agree with you, the hair dryer saves a lot of time, especially when you’re in a rush in the morning. Unfortunately, the heat caused by this device is one of the causes of oily and fragile hair.
Indeed, heat promotes and accelerates the production of sebum in the scalp. Your hair therefore becomes more greasy. It is therefore also necessary to avoid the use of straightening irons and other heating devices.
So how do you dry your hair properly?
- Wrap your hair in a bath towel for a few minutes.
- Pull out and lightly dab your hair with the towel.
- Let your hair air dry to finish.
If you absolutely want to use the hair dryer then set it to the lowest temperature.
4. Avoid touching your hair
If you don’t want to have oily hair anymore, then you shouldn’t touch your hair anymore! Well, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration as advice ? but it’s true, just running your hands through your hair can make it oilier.
As you have oily hair, when you run your hand through your hair, you disperse the oil (sebum) from your scalp throughout your hair.
Same goes for brushing hair!
We have the same problem with brushing hair. The more you brush your hair the more oily your hair will be.
But as it is necessary to brush and detangle your hair every day, I recommend that you use a round bristle brush or even better a boar bristle brush which will be less aggressive for your hair and your scalp.
5. Make a clay mask against oily hair
For those who like to test grandmother’s recipes and remedies, then this green clay mask recipe
is the solution against oily hair!
Here’s how to make this clay mask:
- Mix an equal amount of powdered green clay with water.
- Form a paste and apply the mask to the hair roots.
- Leave the mask on for 10 minutes and rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
Thanks to this trick, your hair will be much less oily!
You can also add a little white vinegar to the mixture to moisturize and add shine to your hair naturally.
6. A grandmother’s remedy to remove oily hair
Lemon is an ingredient that can be useful for you to no longer have greasy hair or at least to improve its appearance.
Very simple, here’s how to use it on your oily hair:
- Pour the juice of a fresh lemon into a 1/2 cup of plain yogurt.
- Mix the ingredients well and apply the mixture on the hair.
- Leave the homemade mask to act for about ten minutes.
- Rinse the hair with lukewarm water and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Remember to rinse with warm or cold water and let the hair air dry to complete the trick. Oh yes, I forgot, you can replace the lemon juice with drops of lemon essential oil.
7. Things not to do if you have oily hair
Here are some practical tips to avoid greasy hair as well as things not to do.
- No scalp massage: you should not massage the scalp with your fingers, because you will stimulate the production of sebum making your hair even more greasy and oily.
- Dry and scrub her hair: If you have oily hair, do not dry and rub your wet hair with a towel. They should be allowed to air dry.
- Do not wash hair with hot water: Hot water, although comfortable, is really not the best solution for washing and rinsing your hair. Hot water attacks the hair and makes it much greasy than lukewarm or cold water.
- Avoid styling products: If your hair is greasy by nature, it is absolutely necessary to avoid styling products. Whether in the form of a gel, spray or pomade, these products prevent the hair from breathing and thus make it even more oily.