How to straighten your hair yourself? Slicked back hair gives an elegant appearance, in addition to being practical, especially for winter. The problem is that several devices and relaxers can be harmful to your hair. Fortunately, there are other methods to straighten hair without using heat or chemicals.
You may not get the straight look of a straightener, but you will have healthier, straighter hair with volume. Here are tips for straightening hair naturally.
Tips for straightening your hair naturally:
1. Brush the hair to straighten it
The very first thing to do on your hair to hope for a natural straightening is to brush it.
Here’s how to pull off this hair straightening and brushing technique:
- After shampooing and applying a suitable hair conditioner, brush your hair at 5 minute intervals while still damp.
- Hold each strand of hair with the brush for a few seconds to gently straighten them.
- Repeat until your hair is completely dry.
This trick does not allow a complete straightening of the hair but will help to have straighter hair and with a nice volume.
2. Natural hair straightening with coconut milk
Did you know that some natural ingredients and products can actually be used as a natural relaxer? Well yes, here is a homemade recipe for a natural hair straightening based on coconut milk.
The ingredients needed for this natural straightening:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- the juice of a whole lemon
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
And now the steps to make this recipe:
- Completely dissolve the cornstarch in the lemon juice.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot, stirring constantly, and heat over medium heat until thickened and creamy.
- Let cool just enough not to burn yourself and apply the relaxer mask all over your hair.
- Cover your hair with a bathing cap and a warm towel.
- Leave on for 1 to 2 hours before shampooing and rinsing the hair completely.
According to many testimonials, this coconut milk and lemon straightening recipe is really effective in straightening hair naturally. To test!
3. Straighten your hair naturally with coconut oil
In addition to giving your hair strength and shine, coconut oil will have a smoothing effect. Here is how to use coconut oil on her curly hair:
- Apply coconut oil to the entire length of your hair.
- Then wrap your hair in a towel and let it act for about 1 hour.
- Shampoo and let your hair air dry.
Coconut oil is an excellent tip for smoothing the hair in addition to giving a beautiful natural shine. It is especially effective against frizz.
4. A homemade recipe for hair straightening
Here is an all-natural homemade recipe to help you straighten your hair naturally:
- 1 cup of honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Mix well and simmer the honey, olive oil, milk and coconut oil in a small pot until the mixture has thickened. Let cool just enough not to burn yourself, and apply all over your hair. Cover your hair with a bathing cap and leave on for 3 hours. Finally, shampoo and rinse well.
5. Natural straightening for frizzy hair
Do you have frizzy hair that is hard to straighten or at least hard to straighten? Well, to proceed with a natural straightening on frizzy hair, you can do a treatment with sweet almond oil.
Here are the steps to make this grandmother’s recipe a success:
- Lightly warm almond oil (enough to cover all of your hair).
- Apply the oil to the entire length of your hair and cover with a towel.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and then comb your hair with a brush.
- Cover them again with the towel and leave to act this time for 30 minutes.
- Finally, remove the towel and gently comb your hair again.
6. A homemade hair straightening mask
If you have slightly frizzy or curly hair, this next homemade mask recipe is the answer. You can use it against frizz or simply to straighten hair.
So to smooth your hair while strengthening it and giving it shine, combine these 2 ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
Here are the steps to do well and apply this mask on your hair:
- Beat the eggs for 1-2 minutes and add the olive oil.
- Mix the 2 ingredients well and apply the mask to the hair, from root to tip.
- Comb your hair carefully with a wide tooth comb.
- Cover your hair with a bathing cap and leave on for 45 minutes.
- Wash your hair, rinse thoroughly and let dry to finish.
7. Homemade smoothing and relaxing mask
This grandmother’s recipe for straightening hair requires only a few ingredients that we will find in our pantry:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
Here’s how to achieve this natural relaxer:
- Mix the ingredients well and apply all over your hair.
- Cover your hair with a bathing cap and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Then rinse thoroughly and shampoo to complete the trick.
This recipe is especially effective for those who have only “very” slightly curly hair. It is best to opt for this recipe to straighten and not straighten the hair.
7. Hair straightening with Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera really contains many properties and benefits for the health and beauty of women and men. But did you know that this plant can help the beauty of the hair?
Indeed, Aloe Vera contains several types of enzymes that promote hair regrowth while making it smoother and softer.
To use this herb as a relaxer and natural treatment:
- Add a little heated olive oil to half a cup of aloe gel.
- Apply the mask to your hair, cover it with a bathing cap and leave on for 2 hours.
- Rinse the hair well afterwards and shampoo to complete the treatment.
We tend to think that heated or conventional rollers are there to create beautiful curls, but we can also use them to straighten or at least tame frizzy hair.
Indeed, by using very large rollers it is quite possible to help straighten very tight curls and frizz. Here’s how:
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo, and give them an appropriate treatment (depending on your hair type).
- Then, working with 5 centimeter wicks, lay the rollers at the base of the wick and roll the tip up.
- Attach the roller about 2 centimeters from the skull and let the hair dry.
- Remove the rollers, comb and style your hair.
It is very important to let the hair dry completely before removing the rollers because otherwise the slightest humidity will cause your hair to frizz.
10. Straighten your hair with a kardoune
The kardoune is a ribbon that wraps the hair and is therefore an excellent solution for straightening the hair naturally.
Kardoune originates from Algeria, but is also used in other Maghreb countries. Here’s how to do this technique, which can also be done using nylon stockings or pantyhose:
- Start by combing your hair well, making sure it is completely detangled.
- Tie your hair into a fairly low, but not too tight, ponytail.
- Starting at the base, roll the kardoune up to the ends, tight but not too tight, as this will leave a mark.
- Once you have wrapped your ponytail, tie a knot joining the ends (you can also use a rubber band)
- Keep the kardoune all night and the next morning your hair will be much smoother.
Of course if you prefer to use a hair straightener then I recommend the steam straightener. Come read our full guide right here: The best steam straightener.