How to turn a tree stump into furniture?
If you are a DIY enthusiast, you will love these new tips. Wood is a noble material, which lasts over time. So easy to get: forest, park, Facebook, online… Raw wood is extremely trendy for a natural and original look.
10 Tips offers you below a panoply of ideas and tips to quickly transform a tree stump into furniture for the home. Happy DIY!
- Patience is the key! Once you find a stump, be sure to store it in a dry, elevated place on a pallet, for example. If the trunk is freshly cut, ideally wait 12 to 24 months for it to bark naturally.
- Turn the trunk or stump from time to time so that it dries evenly.
- Once dried, gently remove the peels.
- Brush the stump with an aquarethane sealer or apply a wood wax or oil. Your base is ready, you just have to let your creativity fly.
2. Creating a table from a stub
Ideally you should find a stump large enough and cut the base to make your table as stable as possible.
- Be sure to sand the wood well and treat it so that it lasts over time and adapts to your interior.
- Prune the stump to give it the desired shape. You can buy a glass top second-hand or at a specialty DIY store.
- The tray should be wider than your stump to optimize its stability.
- First you need to create a horizontal plane with contact points.
- You will need double-sided foam tape or you can opt for UV glue: its advantage is its invisibility.
3. Creation of a plateau
- You will need a small, already dry tree trunk
- Remove leave the peels or remove them depending on the desired final rendering
- Sanding and varnishing are required
- You can paint the wood another color
- And There you go ! You have a tray
4. Wooden design lamp
- The essential part of this workshop is the stump or driftwood. Make sure you find a piece of wood that is tall enough and of good quality.
- Get an electric suspension, an intercable, a sleeve, tape, a cutter, a domino, a flat screwdriver, a rosette (or peak cover) and a wire stripper. You have many tutorials on Youtube to guide you step by step.
- Once your lighting cable is made, hang the electric cable on top of your wood using a galvanized bracket and let it hang down. Your stylish lamp is ready!
5. Wooden Clock
- Enjoy a short walk in the forest to find a small piece of dry wood. If you are allergic to the outdoors, you can find mini tree trunks in DIY-deco stores.
- Remove the bark and varnish the wood.
- Cut a central hole to insert your clock mechanism. The hole should be deep enough to insert the batteries.
- You can paint your wooden clock for the finish.
6. Wooden candle holder
- This workshop is very similar with the clock.
- The customization of your candle holder depends on the size and shape you want to give it.
- Make sure to sand your wood well and apply several coats of varnish so that your wood does not ignite!
- If you want to opt for safety, you can buy glass candle holders and incorporate them inside your wooden candle holder.
7. Small wooden coffee tables
- These small wooden tables are extremely trendy and in all the deco magazines.
- You will ideally need to cut or find a very dry tree trunk.
- Saw 4 of your tree trunk. Make sure the base is flat and stable.
- Remove all the bark and varnish.
- For a more elegant look, paint your trunk white.
8. Wooden Bench
- This workshop is similar to small wooden tables. You will need to get a tree trunk and saw it into two equal parts.
- Make sure that both ends are smooth and flat to best optimize the stability of your bench.
- Saw in each tree trunk, at the same height, a space wide enough to insert a wooden plank which will become your seat.
- You will need to get galvanized brackets for wood to fix your tray on your trunks.
- Be sure to treat your wood well with an oil for outdoor wood and against humidity.
9. Wooden plate
- Impress your guests with its original wooden plates.
- Get a small tree trunk, save the bark, saw off as many small trays as possible.
- Sand both surfaces of your wood as much as possible for hygiene.
- You just have to cook a good meal and surprise your guests.