How to unclog a drain naturally?
Kitchen sink, washbasin, toilet, shower… Regardless of the type of clogged drain, it is possible to unclog it with the help of a few practical tips and tricks!
I therefore propose to you today some good products and tips to unclog a drain naturally and quickly!
1. Dissolve a clog of grease in a drain
Looking for how to dissolve a greasy clog in a drain? Whether it’s at the kitchen sink because of greasy food or in the shower because of shampoo and body wash, here’s a trick to try!
To unclog a sink or shower drain:
- Boil a large pot of water and slowly pour the boiling water down the drain.
- Let the boiling water slowly drain away and repeat until the greasy plug is completely dissolved.
To dissolve a grease plug in the kitchen sink:
- Pour 1 cup of soda ash down the drain.
- Then pour 3 or 4 cups of boiling water down the sink.
- Repeat as needed until the clog is completely destroyed.
If you are looking for a solution to unclog a buried pipe, I have an excellent tip for you!
Whether it’s a rainwater pipe or to evacuate waste water (sink, shower, washing machine, etc.), the garden hose is a great thing to try!
- Start by removing debris and other residue at the entrance to the pipe.
- Gently insert a garden hose directly into the drain.
- When the pipe is blocked, open the tap and move back and forth to dislodge the blockage.
For more power and ease, you can use a cleaning nozzle to attach to the end of the garden hose.
A pressure washer unclog hose:
- Easy to use with a high pressure cleaner.
- Quickly cleans and unclogs drains.
- Compatible with several models of cleaners.
3. Unclog drains naturally with baking soda
A 100% natural trick that allows you to unclog a shower drain, a sink or a sink is baking soda mixed with white vinegar!
Here’s how to do this unclogging trick:
- Drop 1/2 cup baking soda and 2 tablespoons coarse salt down the clogged drain.
- Pour 3 cups of white vinegar down the drain and let stand for ten minutes.
- Finally pour a large pot of boiling water and repeat as needed if the pipe is still blocked.
4. Unblock a drain with a coat hanger
Do you know the hanger trick? In fact, it’s about using an old iron coat hanger as a drain cleaner! Here’s how to do this trick:
- Fully unfold a coat hanger to make a long iron rod.
- Enter the hanger gently into the pipe to successfully unblock the pipe.
Of course, this trick is only effective if the plug is not too long in the pipe. If it is really too far then the use of a real drain cleaner could be more useful to you.
Ferret lead to drain
- Unclogs the various drains in the house.
- With effective hook head against traffic jams.
- Can also be used with rainwater drainage pipes.
5. Unclog a bathtub naturally
It can happen that the pipe under the bath or shower is clogged with hair and soap clogs. To unclog the shower and bathtub naturally, here is what to do:
- Remove the lid from the cork and pour in an equal amount of baking soda and white vinegar.
- Replace the cap lid and leave for 30 minutes.
- Fill the tub with very hot water.
- Then remove the plug and let the hot water run out.
If the bathtub drain is very clogged, you can also use an unblocker or a manual snake. Be careful, however, not to damage the enamel of the bath or sink with this tool.
6. A plunger to unclog the toilet drain
What’s more annoying than a clogged toilet when you need to use it? The best trick to unclog toilet pipes is simply the plunger!
- Place the plunger in the bottom of the toilet and press down firmly.
- Lift the plunger and repeat until the toilet unclogs.
- Add white vinegar and baking soda to help unclog the toilet.
You can also use the suction cup for other types of pipes, whether to unclog the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink.
7. Liquid and granule drain cleaner
This type of product will help break up clogs in pipes created by hair, organic material, or grease. Liquid and granular drain openers are generally very effective at unclogging drains and work in just a few minutes.
But be careful, this type of liquid drain opener must be used last resort because they represent a danger for the environment and even for certain pipes.
As it is a chemical, it is very important not to mix it with other products. It is strongly advised to read and follow the instructions carefully, as they can cause serious injury and sometimes even damage your pipes and plumbing, so be careful!
The best tip to prevent clogged drains is to limit access to solid materials that might end up there. Here are some tips to prevent clogged drains:
- Use a strainer: This will accumulate food debris and other solid residues which can in the long run clog the pipes.
- Pick up hair and hair in the sink and bathtub: They are often the first cause of clogged pipes.
- Never throw grease or oil down the sink: Fat ends up creating plugs that clog the pipes.
- Once a week, throw your coffee grounds in the sink: This will prevent clog formation while deodorizing the pipe.
- Once a month, pour a cup of white vinegar in kitchen and bathroom drains: Vinegar will help clean them of greasy residue that can accumulate and form clogs.
- Annually, get into the habit of cleaning the siphon under the sink or washbasin: You will of course have to take it apart before soaking it in a degreasing solution and scrubbing the inside with a swab type brush. Before unscrewing it, don’t forget to place a bucket under the siphon, it will save you a lot of damage.
9. Hire a professional plumber to unclog the pipes
When to call a plumber to unclog pipes and drains? Of course, occasionally a clog forms far, far away in the pipes, so it is necessary to call a plumber in your area to solve this plumbing problem effectively.
Personally, I had to deal with a plumber twice to unclog my kitchen sink pipe. As the pipe is very long and with little slope, it happens that a clog of food and other residues forms.
If you are looking for a plumber in Sherbrooke, Montreal or in another region or country, take the time to visit the websites of plumbing companies to compare the services offered and even to make a price quote online. Personally, I called on the plumbers from Plomberie Chauffage BRP to unclog my pipe.