How to unclog a kitchen sink?
My kitchen sink clogs every 2 or 3 years since we’ve been living in our house! Over time, I found a few tricks to avoid having to pay a plumber to unclog my sink every time it clogged.
So here are some products and tips to help you unclog a kitchen sink naturally.
1. Unclog a sink with baking soda
If you notice that water is draining slower than usual in your kitchen sink then baking soda can be useful to naturally unclog the sink.
Here’s how to use baking soda:
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the sink drain.
- Then pour 3 cups of boiling water down the sink.
If the kitchen sink was slightly clogged then baking soda and boiling water should be sufficient to remove the clog. If the sink is very clogged then follow the steps in Tip #2 below instead.
2. Homemade recipe to unclog a sink
If you haven’t succeeded with boiling water and baking soda to unclog the kitchen sink, then this grandmother’s recipe should solve your problem quickly.
The ingredients needed for this grandmother’s recipe:
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- coarse salt
Here are the steps to unclog the sink naturally:
- Pour 1/3 cup baking soda directly into the sink hole.
- Then add 3 tablespoons of coarse salt.
- Finally pour 2 cups of white vinegar down the sink.
- Let the 3 ingredients act for 10 minutes and finish with boiling water.
This homemade recipe of vinegar, baking soda and coarse salt is also effective for unclogging a sink or even for unclogging the toilet.
3. Eliminate a grease clog in the sink drain
Grease is often the cause of a clogged kitchen sink! So if you are looking for a trick to dislodge a greasy clog from a pipe then soda crystals are the solution.
- Pour the equivalent of a cup of soda crystals into the sink pipe.
- Then pour 4 cups of boiling water down the sink and let it work.
Even if the kitchen sink or bathroom sink isn’t clogged, you can do this trick to prevent a greasy clog from appearing in the pipes. Prevention is better than cure. ?
Prevent grease from clogging a sink:
Always as a preventive measure, did you know that coffee grounds can prevent grease from sticking and accumulating naturally in the kitchen sink drain.
Pour coffee grounds down the sink drain and then pour hot water for 2 minutes. Repeat this trick twice a week to avoid greasy plugs.
4. Make a ferret to unclog a kitchen sink
It is of course possible to buy a ferret specially designed for unclogging a sink, but why not make one yourself, at home?
Here’s how to make your own ferret out of a coat hanger:
- Find an old iron coat hanger and gently unfold it.
- Make a kind of small hook at one end and a handle at the other.
- Gently guide the ferret down the sink drain.
- Go back and forth as soon as you feel a blockage to remove everything.
If the snake isn’t long enough to reach the clog in the drain then maybe it’s worth buying a real drain snake. Here is precisely a ferret unblocker very popular on Amazon:
- To unclog pipes and drains.
- With hooking head for good unclogging.
- Ideal for clearing a clog far down a drain.
5. Other tips and tricks for unclogging a kitchen sink
Here are several other tips and tricks for unclogging a kitchen sink with or without product:
- Use a garden hose: As for a drain cleaner, you can insert a garden hose into the sink pipe. When the hose is far enough in the pipe, turn on the water to successfully unclog the sink. Be careful, because if the cap is very solid you risk splashing water all over the kitchen.
- Use a suction cup: As for unclogging a toilet, the plunger can also be used to unclog a sink. Make sure you have enough water in the sink (cover the entire plunger with water) and start doing a bottom-up motion to unclog the pipe.
- Run boiling water: To prevent grease clogs in the kitchen sink pipe, pour a large pot of boiling water every week.
- Install a sink strainer: At home, we have placed a sink filter or rather a grid which makes it possible to recover all the small pieces of food which would usually fall into the sink pipe.
- Captures small pieces of food.
- Ideal for the kitchen sink.
- Easy to install, remove and clean