How to weed your lawn naturally?
No need to spend all your money buying weed killer to kill the weeds in your lawn when you can make your own natural weed killer at home.
So here’s how to make a natural lawn weed killer that really works against weeds.
1. Lawn weed killer with white vinegar
White vinegar is such a useful natural product in the house and in the garden. So why not use vinegar as a natural weedkiller for the lawn?
Of course, be careful not to kill the grass with the vinegar!
To avoid burning the lawn around the weeds, it is best to dilute the white vinegar in equal parts with water. Pour right into the center of the weeds for a quick and effective result.
When to apply this natural weed killer?
If the weather is dry and hot, this natural white vinegar-based weed killer will be even more effective against weeds. So wait for a hot, dry, sunny day to kill the weeds.
Also great for weeding gravel and between slabs!
You can also use pure white vinegar to prevent grass from growing between slabs and pavers, but also as a gravel weed killer.
2. Homemade weed killer with baking soda
You probably have baking soda against bad odors in the fridge? Well did you know that it was possible to manufacture a 100% natural lawn weed killer with baking soda?
Perfect for weeding between slabs and pavers!
This trick is particularly effective for weeding the terrace or between the slabs and the cobblestones. Simply sprinkle the baking soda directly on the weeds and grass growing in your driveway and flagstone patio.
I don’t recommend that you use baking soda as a weed killer on his lawn because you risk burning and killing the lawn around the weeds.
No baking soda at home to make this weedkiller?
In addition to being able to use it against weeds, you will be able to use baking soda for a multitude of other tips and tricks around the house and garden.
- For a ton of tips, recipes and home remedies.
- Useful both in the house and in the garden.
- Excellent natural product to always have at home.
3. Cooking water as a lawn weedkiller
Another tip for weeding your lawn naturally is to use cooking water. Yes yes, cooking water is an excellent natural weedkiller to test.
- Keep the cooking water for rice, pasta or potatoes.
- Pour the still hot cooking water directly on the weeds (in the center of the plant).
You can use cold or hot cooking water to naturally weed your lawn. On the other hand, if the cooking water is still hot, it will be all the more effective in killing weeds such as dandelions and plantain.
4. Make a natural weed killer with coarse salt
You can also use coarse salt to naturally weed a cobblestone driveway or flagstone patio. Just sprinkle coarse salt between the slabs and pavers to quickly kill weeds.
Sprinkle directly on the weeds!
Be careful, however, not to leave the salt in contact with the stone so as not to damage it. Hence the importance of sprinkling salt only on weed plants and not on natural stones or concrete slabs.
The rain will cause the salt to dissolve and help to effectively remove weeds and moss between the slabs and pavers.
Hot water and salt to weed your lawn!
If you want to weed your lawn with salt, it is best to dilute it from the start with hot water so as not to kill your lawn.
- Add 1 cup of coarse salt to 4 cups of very hot water and mix.
- Pour the solution directly into the center of the weeds and repeat as needed.
5. Nettle manure: a natural lawn weedkiller
You can make your own lawn weed killer with nettle leaves. Indeed, nettle manure is an excellent solution for killing weeds in the lawn, but also for protecting plants and shrubs from harmful parasites and insects.
Depending on the concentration of nettle manure produced, you can use this natural product as:
- Natural grass and lawn weed killer.
- Natural fertilizers for plants and flowers.
- Natural insecticide against plant aphids.
It is also possible to use this weed killer against dandelions. Just pour it into the center of the dandelion to kill it. Ideal for preventing dandelions and other weeds from invading the lawn.
Here are the steps to make your own nettle manure at home:
- Tear out, cut and grind 1 kilo of nettles and place everything in a net to trap the nettle pieces well.
- Add 10 liters of water to a large container or can and immerse the nettle fillet in it.
- Leave the nettle leaves and pieces to macerate for 10 to 15 days.
- When there are no more bubbles on the surface, it is a sign that the nettle manure is ready to be used.
Several uses to make with nettle manure:
- As a weed killer: if you want to use nettle manure as a weed killer, you must use it pure, without diluting it with water. It will be effective against all types of weeds in turf and gravel.
- As fertilizer: on the other hand, if you want to use the manure of nettle as fertilizer it must be diluted with water at the rate of 1 liter of manure for 5 liters of water.
- As an aphid insecticide: to use it as a natural insecticide, we rather dilute 1 liter of manure for 10 liters of water.
7. Freshly cut grass against weeds
An effective and free way to prevent the growth of weeds in the garden and vegetable patch is to use freshly cut grass.
Simply harvest the cut grass after the mower is finished and lay it out on the ground between vegetable plants to prevent weeds from forming.
Use a weed-free lawn!
Be careful on the other hand to use grass cut without weeds, because you risk on the contrary spreading weeds in the vegetable garden.
Freshly cut grass also helps nourish the lawn and soil by acting as a natural fertilizer.
Instead, use mulch to prevent weeds:
Similar to freshly cut grass you can also use mulching (cedar mulch) to prevent weeds from growing in the garden. Of course it is important to rid the soil of weeds before applying a layer of mulch.
8. Corn Gluten for Lawn
Do you know corn gluten meal? Unlike our other tips and tricks, this product is not a weed killer, but rather a product to prevent the formation and growth of weeds in the lawn.
To prevent the growth of weeds in your lawn!
Corn gluten meal is ideal for helping grass grow to prevent seeds from growing surrounded by weeds and pests.
So from the beginning of spring, before the weeds show up, we apply corn gluten meal on the lawn and in the flower beds.
9. Make a natural weed killer with basil essential oil
Another natural weed killer for grass, lawn and pavers is basil essential oil!
Of course, I don’t recommend this trick for eliminating a ton of weeds in the lawn, but for a few here and there why not!
Here’s how to make this weed killer:
- Add about ten drops of basil essential oil to a watering can filled with water.
- Then add a capful of liquid black soap to the solution and mix well.
- Pour the liquid directly onto the weeds, directly into the center.
Repeat a few times for a week to effectively kill weeds.
10. Weed your lawn manually!
Of course if you really want to solve your weed problem quickly and efficiently then you will have to weed by hand, manually!
Weeding with a weeder knife is an excellent solution, both for weeding the lawn and the garden.
- For easy weeding of grass and lawn.
- Sinks deep into the ground.
- To remove all weeds, including brambles and dandelions.