How to clean plastic that has yellowed over time?
Over time and the passing seasons, our plastic furniture and objects can turn yellow and lose their shine. So has the white of your garden furniture given way to a yellowish color?
In this article, I offer you my best homemade tips and tricks to easily and quickly whiten yellowed plastic.
1. Whiten yellowed plastic with baking soda
The first tip against white plastic that has yellowed over the years is to use a mixture of water and baking soda.
Here’s how to make this homemade cleanser recipe:
- Mix baking soda with cold or lukewarm water.
- Mix well to form a kind of malleable paste (neither too liquid nor too solid).
- Spread the paste on the yellowed or stained plastic using a damp cloth or sponge.
- Scrub to thoroughly whiten the plastic surface and rinse to complete cleaning.
This baking soda trick can also be used to clean colored plastic as you can read here: How to clean a green garden table?
2. The clay stone to clean yellowed plastic
Clay stone is a natural product that you absolutely must have at home, both for interior and exterior work.
This white clay-based stone can be used to thoroughly clean various surfaces, including the plastic of your white garden chairs.
It’s really very effective and simple, so here’s how to use it to whiten plastic:
- Take a damp sponge or cloth and rub the clay stone.
- Rub the entire surface of the yellowed plastic, insisting on the most yellow and encrusted spots.
- Rinse with water and repeat as needed.
The Silver Stone
- 100% natural clay-based cleanser
- Cleans, polishes and protects the surfaces to be cleaned
- Useful inside and outside the home
You can also use this product for your garden chairs as you can discover here: How to clean plastic chairs?
3. Clean yellow stains with white vinegar
One last home recipe for removing yellow stains from white plastic is to use the full power of white vinegar.
If you like reading our tips and tricks, then you know that white vinegar is very effective in cleaning stains on a multitude of surfaces! Here’s how to use it on yellowed plastic:
- Mix equal parts pure white vinegar with cold or lukewarm water.
- Soak a sponge in this mixture and rub the entire surface of the furniture or the yellowed object.
- Rinse with water and dry with a clean, dry cloth.
This tip is effective for whitening plastic, but for better results prefer tip #1 based on baking soda.
4. Whiten a plastic object that has yellowed over time
If you are looking for a trick to whiten small white plastic objects, my hydrogen peroxide trick is very effective.
Here’s how to whiten small items:
- Clean the plastic with soapy water to dislodge stains and dirt to begin with.
- Soak the plastic object in a basin or other container with hydrogen peroxide.
- Place the container on a window sill or better on the balcony (so that it is in the sun).
- Leave to act for 2 or 3 hours and remove the object from the hydrogen peroxide.
Your object that had yellowed over time will finally regain its beautiful white color. It is also a natural trick to naturally whiten blackened or yellowed PVC.