How to make laundry smell good?
Clothes that stink due to sweat, humidity, pollution or even cooking are not pleasant. So what if the laundry smells really bad?
10-Trucs offers you today tips against smelly laundry! Happy cleaning!
1. Quickly remove the washed clothes from the washing machine
The first thing to do to prevent clothes and laundry from smelling is to remove them quickly after the wash cycle is finished.
So as soon as the washing is finished remove the laundry from the machine and hang it on the clothesline outside or on a support in the house.
Hang your clothes out in the open air for clothes that are fresh and always smell great.
2. Clean the washing machine to avoid bad odors
One of the main causes of smelly laundry is poor maintenance and cleaning of the washing machine.
Indeed, how can you have clothes that smell good and fresh if you don’t take the time to clean and drain your washing machine occasionally?
- Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of baking soda directly to the bowl of the machine.
- Run a full cycle with very hot water to thoroughly clean and deodorize the washing machine.
- Repeat as needed if strange smells persist in the machine.
For other machine cleaning and maintenance tips I recommend this other article: How to clean your washing machine thoroughly?
3. Essential oil for laundry that smells good
A first simple and effective tip against smelly laundry is to add a few drops of essential oil during washing.
- Pour a little essential oil on a cloth (about 10 drops of essential oil).
- Add laundry directly to the washing machine.
This trick is ideal for having laundry and clothes that smell really good when they come out of the washing machine.
4. Lavender for clothes that always smell good
If your laundry stinks after spending some time in the closet or in the chest of drawers, a solution is lavender.
You can of course buy sachets of dried lavender or even better make them yourself. You can find quality and very fragrant dried lavender in stores and online, perfect against smelly clothes.
Just place inside the closet or directly in the dresser drawers 1 or 2 sachets of lavender to keep your clothes fresh and fresh.
Soothing in nature, you can also place a sachet of lavender under the cover of the bed for optimal relaxation.
5. Baking soda to remove odors
Whether it’s because your laundry gives off bad odors or too much perfume, baking soda is a very good trick to try.
Indeed, thanks to its deodorizing power, baking soda will overcome all the odors that emerge from your clothes.
- Sprinkle baking soda directly on the garment.
- Leave on all day or better, all night.
- Shake out to remove all the baking soda.
It’s a great trick to remove bad odors without using soap and water.
6. Put the laundry in the dryer for a few minutes
A quick and easy trick against smelly laundry that you absolutely want to wear is the dryer.
- Place the stinky garment in the dryer and add a dryer sheet.
- Leave on for 2-3 minutes for clothes with a mild fragrance.
Run the dryer on low heat to avoid damage to clothes that shouldn’t be machine-washed.
Want to discover other tips for laundry that always smells good? Come read these other tips: Perfume your laundry naturally.
7. Water and soda crystals
Another effective remedy for laundry that smells really “very” bad is a mixture of water and soda crystals.
- Mix water and soda crystals in a large basin or directly in the kitchen sink.
- Soak the clothes in the mixture for 1 to 2 hours.
- Rinse and machine wash to finish cleaning.
8. White vinegar against stinky laundry
A final trick that is somewhat similar to the previous trick is to soak the laundry in a mixture of water and vinegar. Here’s how to do this trick:
- Fill a basin with hot water and white vinegar.
- Soak stinky laundry in the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse and remove laundry before air drying.
This white vinegar trick is excellent for removing the bad smell of tobacco on clothes.
9. Cinnamon sticks for smelly socks!
Socks or shoes that stink of perspiration is a common thing for many men and women. But then what to do to avoid this bad smell?
Simply put a cinnamon stick in each of your socks and shoes! 🙂 No more bad smells with this simple little trick!
So put a cinnamon stick overnight and the next morning you will have socks and shoes that will smell nice and fresh all day.
If your problem is more with the feet, this article should interest you: Remedy for smelly feet.