How to make good fries? The tasty fries at the Friteries are always excellent, but it is nevertheless possible to make homemade fries that are just as good. A few simple things to do and you’re done.
In addition, it is still quick to make fries and it is possible to choose different kinds of cooking and seasoning. 10 Tips therefore offers you today 10 tips for making good homemade fries.
Our tips and tricks for good homemade fries:
1. The right cut of fries!
To make good homemade fries, the cut and thickness of these is therefore very important! So when the time comes to cut your potatoes it is important to cut the fries so that they are between 7 and 9 mm thick.
The particularity of homemade fries is the thickness, nothing to do with julienne fries which are very long and very thin. Here it is a question of making good and big homemade fries. Yum yum!! But you can also cut them into quarters if you want to make a change from stick fries.
If you are a lover of good deep-fried fries then you necessarily need a fries cutter. Here is one that allows you to quickly and above all effortlessly prepare 9mm thick fries.
TOP Fried cut
- Ideal for making a nice cut of homemade fries.
- Quickly and effortlessly cuts the potato.
- TOP quality price!
Before turning your potato into fries, you have to peel it! Here’s an article you might like: How to peel a potato quickly?
2. Soak the fries in cold water
Before even thinking about cooking the fries, it is important to soak them in cold water. So just before cooking them, wet your fries to remove the excess starch on the potatoes.
- Place the fries in very cold water.
- Leave in place for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat the fries dry with a paper towel to finish.
You can also boil the fries for 2 minutes. This is another way to remove excess starch which is just as effective as cold water and above all faster.
3. Dip the fries in milk ?
Did you know that some people and even some chefs prefer to soak fries in milk rather than soaking them in cold water? But why in milk?
To simply prevent the fries from absorbing too much grease from the frying oil, quite simply. Just soak the fries for 10 minutes in milk and you wipe them well to finish. A little trick to make good fries tender and crispy at the same time. You will love!
4. The right oil for good air fryer fries!
Oil is necessary to make good homemade fries, it’s no secret! But rather than choosing an oil with bad fats, why not opt for a vegetable oil that will be less harmful to your health and your body!
So the most recommended oil for frying french fries is vegetable oil. You can therefore cook your homemade fries in olive oil, canola oil or peanut oil which is increasingly popular for cooking food and therefore potatoes.
Beyond the choice of oil, don’t forget to change your fryer oil regularly so that it retains its good properties and above all to always have good and beautiful fries. You can therefore change it approximately every 10 uses.
5. A fryer to make good fries!
For homemade fries that are full of flavor and cooked to perfection, you can use the good old fryer. For those who like to eat good and big homemade fries, there is nothing better than the deep fryer.
Blanch the fries, the first step in cooking fries:
- To begin cooking the fries in the deep fryer, you must blanch the fries. Blanching fries simply involves cooking the fries in the fryer at 150°C (300°F) for 10 to 15 minutes.
- We then raise the fryer basket and drain the fries well. Do not hesitate to shake the basket well to remove the excess oil from the fries.
Place for the second phase of cooking the fries:
- Now put the well-drained fries back into the fryer with oil at 180°C (350°F).
- Let the fries cook in this hot oil for about 3 or 4 minutes maximum. In fact, we leave them in place until the color of the fries is perfect and golden brown.
- We dry the excess oil by placing the fries on paper towels, absorbent paper.
Here you are finally with golden and very crispy homemade fries, in short, perfect homemade fries as we like them! All you have to do is add the seasoning and you’re ready to eat your good fries with your family.
If you want to make very big and very crispy homemade fries, nothing better than a real fryer that works with oil. Here is one of the very popular models online with users. This is the Tefal 8090 Oleoclean fryer for always clean oil!
- Professional fryer with automatic oil filtration.
- Easy cleaning and maintenance.
- TOP quality price!
An oil-free fryer… Why not!
If you want to make good homemade fries but without having to use all that frying oil then there is another solution for you… The air fryer! Of course, the texture of the fries in this type of fryer may be different from the fries cooked and immersed completely in oil, but they will be healthier!
- Only one tablespoon of oil needed for good home fries.
- No more unpleasant frying smells in the kitchen.
Don’t forget to clean your fryer thoroughly!
To make good fries you have to clean and maintain your fryer. Here are some tips to help you: How to degrease a fryer?
6. Make oven fries
After the deep fryer, the other method for making homemade fries is undoubtedly baking! More accessible and safer than cooking in a pan filled with oil, you will get good crispy and golden fries.
Fries cooked in the oven will of course be much healthier than cooking in a deep fryer. Here’s how to cook your fries in the oven:
- Toss the fries with a little olive oil.
- Add the seasoning of your choice and mix the fries well with your hands.
- Place a parchment paper on a baking sheet (biscuit sheet) and spread the fries evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C – 350°F and bake the fries for 30 minutes or until the desired doneness and browning.
In the end, golden and crispy homemade fries as we like them! Yum yum!
7. Make WOK Fries
We know how to cook fries in a deep fryer or in the oven, but did you know that it was possible to make homemade fries in a wok?
Here’s how to make wok fries:
- Heat a sufficient quantity of oil in the Wok.
- Bring the oil to around 150°C and then add the fries.
- Leave the fries for about 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Remove the fries and heat the oil to 180-200°C.
- Put the fries back in the hot oil for another 5 minutes to brown them and make them crispy.
But be careful, whether in a wok or a pan, it is very important to be careful when cooking fries in oil. It is of course safer to cook fries in a deep fryer. Always have a fire extinguisher close by in case of an unfortunate incident with cooking oil.
8. Home fries seasoning!
For good, well-seasoned homemade fries, it is better to opt for baking in the oven or even in a wok. If you’re using the deep fryer to cook your fries, other than salt and pepper as a seasoning there aren’t many other options since the cooking is done in oil.
You can actually season your fries however you like to create a homemade and perfect seasoning for your fries. Use a bit of your imagination to make the best fries in the world!
Here are 2 recipes to season your homemade fries before placing them in the oven or wok:
Seasoning for garlic and parsley fries:
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (you can also use jarred garlic from the grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste to finish the seasoning.
We mix the fries well with this mixture in a large bowl and we can start cooking in the oven, wok or even on the BBQ!
Seasoning for homemade fries with cumin and pepper:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients well and then mix everything with the fries. Place the fries on a cookie sheet in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
9. Do you like salty fries?
If you are the type to eat very salty fries then here is the right technique to salt your fries like a pro!
In general, we like very salty and tasty fries like those of a popular fast food chain ;). So when your fries are ready, put a little fine salt all over it. Then, add coarse salt to give even more flavor to your homemade fries.
Of course go in moderation, because as you probably know salt is not very good for your health so better not to overdo it with your homemade fries!
Salty fries, perfect to accompany a good hamburger with our homemade Big Mac sauce recipe ?
10. The right potato for good fries!
Before you indulge in your fries, don’t forget to choose the right potato! Indeed, not all potatoes are recommended for cooking fries.
So to have good tasty fries, the first step is the choice of potato. Tons of different kinds of potatoes exist, but if you want good fries, choose bintje, agria, idaho or estima instead. These are floury potatoes and therefore perfect for good homemade fries.