How to make magic sand easily and quickly?
Magic sand is really a great activity for children! I discovered this modeling sand during a family stay at the hotel a few years ago.
Also called moon sand, below are some of the best recipes for making your own homemade magic sand.
1. Practical tips for making homemade magic sand
Before moving on to the different lunar sand recipes, I offer you some tips and practical advice below to make these recipes successful.
- Very fine sand: no matter what modeling sand recipe you are going to use at home, if it involves sand, it is important to choose sand that is as fine as possible!
- Sift flour: If you choose a sand recipe made with flour then I recommend that you sift the flour well before mixing all the ingredients together.
- No food coloring: You can of course add a little coloring, but I advise you not to, because you risk wetting the magic sand and diminishing its magic texture.
2. Magic sand recipe with real fine sand
For this first recipe, I would like to thank “Les Débrouillards”, a scientific magazine for young people… But also adults! ?
For this kinetic sand recipe you need:
- Liquid dish soap
- Some water
- Fine sand, very fine
Now here are the steps to make your magic sand:
- Pour 3 cups of fine sand and 2 cups of cornstarch into a large bowl.
- Mix the starch and sand well with a spatula to combine the two ingredients well.
- In another container pour 1 cup of water and add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap and mix well.
- Add some of your soapy water to the large bowl and stir as you pour in the liquid.
- Mix well to have a modeling sand that is neither too solid nor too liquid.
Here is the video to see the steps of this kinetic sand recipe:
2. Recipe for modeling sand with flour
Now here is another recipe for making magic sand, but this time you will replace the fine sand with flour.
Here’s how to make this modeling sand recipe:
- In a large bowl add 4 cups flour and 2/3 cup vegetable oil.
- Mix the 2 ingredients well for 2 or 3 minutes for a malleable mixture, neither too liquid nor too solid.
- Grate a chalk of the color and mix again to color the magic sand.
If you had to choose between these 2 recipes, I recommend the one with real sand which will really have the texture of Magic Sand. It will be easier to handle and above all less grainy.
3. Where to find magic sand?
If you prefer, it is also possible to get “real” magic sand online. Take the time to read customer reviews and comments to make the best choice of sand!
The advantage of this sand is that it really offers the right texture of the kinetic sand that we love to touch and manipulate so much.
Magic Sand – Kinetic Sand
- Real kinetic and colored sand.
- Nice alternative to modeling clay.
- Comes with several tools for sculpting and shaping the sand.
Do you know the best homemade slime recipe?
Another very popular activity for little ones is that of slime! Come quickly read this other article to find out how to make slime with and without glue!