How to remove mascara from clothing? Mascara helps create a gorgeous and much more accentuated look, but watch out for stains on your clothes!
As you are never safe from stains, here are my best tips and tricks for removing a mascara stain.
1. Remove excess mascara to start
Regardless of the stain on a garment or fabric, you must start by removing the excess stain.
- Remove excess mascara from the fabric and rinse with water (at high pressure to remove as much mascara as possible).
If the mascara stain is recent, this first step may be enough to clean everything. Of course we end with a wash in the washing machine.
2. A makeup remover to remove the mascara stain
Another grandma’s trick for removing mascara from clothing is to use eye makeup remover!
And yes, if the makeup remover is able to remove makeup around your eyes, it will certainly also be effective in removing mascara from clothing.
So here’s how to untie the garment:
- Soak a cloth or cotton ball in eye makeup remover and dab the mascara stain.
- Rinse the garment and put in the washing machine to finish.
3. Marseille soap and mascara stain
Another natural cleaning product to have at home that will allow you to remove a mascara stain from laundry is Marseille soap.
Here’s how to use this soap on a mascara stain:
- Once the excess mascara has been removed, moisten the stain with water.
- Add a little Marseille soap and rub to form a sort of paste.
- Leave the Marseille soap to act on the mascara stain for approximately 1 hour.
- Rinse the garment and finish with a machine wash.
Marseille soap is effective on several textiles including wool. For other anti-stain tips for wool, it’s here: How to remove a stain from a woolen sweater?
4. Remove mascara from fabric with white vinegar
White vinegar is once again a natural trick to try to remove a stain of mascara on white or light-colored fabric.
Another super simple thing to do:
- Mix white vinegar with water and dab the stained fabric with a cloth.
- Leave to act for a few minutes and gently rub the fabric to thoroughly soak the stain in the solution.
- Rinse with water (by hand) to finish or by machine.
For an even more stubborn mascara stain on clothing or fabric, you can replace the vinegar with ammonia (diluted with water).
For waterproof mascara or an already fixed mascara stain, some tips are possible.
Using White Spirit: Dab and rub the waterproof mascara with a little white spirit, rinse and machine wash.
Using lemon juice and salt: Lemon juice and salt will naturally clean mascara stains and other very stubborn stains on clothes.
Use alcohol at 70°: You can use 70° or 90° alcohol if the mascara stain is really VERY stubborn on the fabric.
Use glycerin: Pour a few drops of glycerin on the mascara stains, leave to act and rinse thoroughly. You can finish with a machine wash to remove all traces of mascara and glycerin.
Depending on the product and stain remover used and the type of fabric and garment, it is best to test on an inconspicuous part to avoid damaging and discoloring the garment.
Finally, no matter the makeup, here is an article that offers several anti-dark spot tips to try: Removing makeup stains from clothing.