How to make a rose bouquet last? I sometimes give flowers and roses to my wife for various occasions including her birthday. I find it a pity on the other hand that the roses fade so quickly!
So here are some tips and tricks that work really well for making a bouquet of roses or other flowers last.
1. Make roses last longer by cutting stems
The most effective trick to keep your bouquet of roses in good condition for as long as possible is to cut the stems of the flowers well.
- Cut the stems of the flowers at a 45 degree angle.
- Place the end of the cut stems well in the water.
- Cut the stems again after a few days at the same angle.
Cutting the stems of roses at a 45 degree angle will make it easier for them to draw water from the vase.
And to always have a pretty bouquet of roses, why not grow a few roses in the garden? I present in this other article: How to have beautiful roses?, several tips and tricks for taking care of roses at home.
2. Remove the leaves from the stems of the roses
We do not remove all the leaves of the roses, but the leaves whose part of the stem touches the water in the vase.
If you leave the leaves in the water they will eventually die and cause some of the entire bouquet of roses to die.
3. Change the water in the flower vase regularly
Regardless of the bouquet of flowers, be it roses, tulips or a pretty bouquet of Dahlias, it is important to change the water in the vase regularly.
How and when to change flower water?
- As soon as the water in the vase becomes cloudy.
- Cloudy or not, we change the water every 3 days.
- Thoroughly clean the inside of the vase before filling with new water.
- Trim the stems of the roses at each water change.
4. Remove faded flowers quickly
Whether for a bouquet of roses or other flowers, dead and faded flowers must be quickly removed from the bouquet.
Much like the trick of leaves touching water, faded flowers can contaminate the whole bouquet of roses! So remove faded flowers quickly.
5. Add sugar to rose water
Sugar is a grandma’s trick that works really well to make your rose bouquet last a long time, or at least, longer than usual!
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the water in the vase.
- Add new sugar at each water change.
You can also place a cube of sugar in the bottom of the vase, which will slowly dissolve. Ideal for keeping cut flowers in a vase longer!
6. Watch out for the sun and the heat
Finally, did you know that roses cut in a vase do not like the sun and direct light at all?
Indeed, it is preferable to place your bouquet of roses away from the sun’s rays, never on a window sill where the sun and the heat are omnipresent.
Little trick: Place your bouquet of roses in the refrigerator overnight to keep the cut flowers longer.
Do you want more ideas to please a woman?
The rose bouquet is an excellent gift idea for his girlfriend, but other ideas exist as you will discover here: How to please his wife?