How to wash wine glasses? Wine glasses stain easily and can be difficult to wash due to soap scum and limescale stains among other things.
So for sparkling clean glass, here are tips and tricks for cleaning wine glasses effectively.
1. Wash wine glasses in the dishwasher
The fastest and easiest way to wash wine glasses and other glassware is by cleaning in the dishwasher of course!
For effective cleaning of wine glasses it is important to wash only wine glasses in them. No other dishes should fit in the dishwasher.
Here are some tips for cleaning in the dishwasher:
- Place and distance the wine glasses well to prevent them from touching and breaking during washing.
- Check and add rinse aid if necessary to shine wine glasses and goblets.
- Also choose a gel soap to wash the glass in the dishwasher (never powder).
- Choose a cycle for delicate dishes and preferably a wash with lukewarm water.
2. Wash wine glasses in soapy water
If you prefer to clean wine glasses and goblets by hand then a simple soapy water should be enough to wash them well.
- Pour lukewarm water into the sink and add some liquid dish soap.
- Gently rub the glass with a cloth and this soapy water.
- Dry quickly with a soft cloth (microfiber for example) or with an absorbent paper.
Be careful, however, when you wash the inside of a wine glass so as not to break the glass or the crystal, which can be very fragile.
Other tips for washing kitchen glasses:
If you want to discover other tips and tricks for cleaning glasses, it’s here: How to clean the glass?
3. Let the glasses air dry
Since wine glasses are fragile and delicate (especially crystal glasses) it may be best to let them air dry.
- Lay the wine glasses upside down on a tea towel and wait for the water to drain.
- Turn the glasses upside down (after a few minutes) and let air dry to finish.
If you do not return the wine glasses condensation will form inside the wine goblet causing water spots.
4. Shine a thin glass with steam
Hot steam is a great trick to get a wine glass sparkling quickly.
- Heat water in a saucepan until steam comes out.
- Take a wine glass with the opening down and strain over the steamer.
- Dry the glass with a dry cloth to complete the cleaning.
Be careful not to overheat the crystal glasses which could break, especially if the crystal is very fragile and delicate.
5. Wash crystal glasses
If your wine glasses are crystal then the white vinegar trick is ideal for cleaning and staining the glasses.
- Rub the spots on the crystal with a mixture of water and white vinegar.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and dry quickly with a microfiber cloth.
Remove lime stains:
For limescale stains on crystal glass you can use pure white vinegar (undiluted). Also effective in restoring shine to crystal.
Several other tips and tricks can be used for crystal cleaning. Here is the link about it: How to clean the crystal?
Other tips for cleaning wine glasses
Here are some other tips and advice for properly cleaning and caring for your wine glasses at home:
- Have a good water temperature: When washing wine glasses, wash them in hot water and avoid rinsing them in cold water afterwards. These temperature differences could damage and even break the glass or crystal.
- Do not wash Crystal in the dishwasher: You can wash wine glasses in the dishwasher, but crystal glasses should be avoided. As the crystal is very fragile it could break during washing, so be careful.
- Wait before washing them: You can just rinse the glasses and leave them on the counter. You can wash them the next day without any problem. The important thing is to rinse to remove the excess red wine inside the glass.
- Properly store wine glasses: Reserve a specific place for storing glasses and wine glasses, as far as possible from the stove and cooking vapors.
If you are also looking for silverware cleaning tips, read these other tips: How to clean silverware?