How to clean and maintain your winter boots? Whether it’s your leather boots or your child’s rubber boots, winter boots require good maintenance to keep them in good condition.
I offer you today on 10-Trucs, my best tips and tricks for the maintenance and cleaning of winter boots.
1. Clean rubber winter boots
The maintenance and cleaning of rubber boots is very easy and quick. A simple soapy water should suffice for cleaning the boots.
- Mix liquid dish soap with warm water and clean the boots with a cloth.
- Let the boots dry and then apply a mixture of 1 tablespoon of glycerin with 1/2 cup of warm water with a new cloth.
If you make a habit of doing this trick you will keep rubber boots in good summer much longer.
2. Clean leather winter boots
Leather boots require special care to keep them in good condition for a long time.
Here are some solutions for maintaining and cleaning leather boots:
- To remove stains embedded in the leather your boots simply clean them with a solution of cold water and white vinegar. Let it dry and start rubbing again if the stains persist on the boots.
- To remove stains and traces of calcium on leather boots you can rub them with baby wipes. A grandma’s trick that works really well against calcium stains and other stains on boots.
- For mud stains and other dirt on the surface, use a cloth and lukewarm water. If there are still stains, you can also clean your leather boots with a soft cloth and cleansing milk.
- Apply a nourishing leather oil to keep your boots in good condition longer. Find out how to choose the right oil for the leather of your winter boots.
For other leather cleaning tips I recommend my other article right here: 10 tips for cleaning leather.
3. Clean nubuck or velor boots
If you have nubuck or velor winter boots then maintenance and cleaning is different. Here’s how to clean them:
- Use a brush specially designed for nubuck and scrub the boots to remove surface dirt and other stains.
For other cleaning tips for nubuck this other article is to read: How to clean nubuck?
4. Clean suede (suede) winter boots
If you have suede or rather suede winter boots, here is how to properly maintain them throughout the cold season:
- Clean and remove surface dirt with a suede brush.
- Clean encrusted stains on boots with water and vinegar (as we saw earlier in the article).
- Spray on a waterproofing and stain protectant formulated specifically for suede boots.
5. Other Winter Boot Care Tips
Finally, below are some other tips and tricks on how to care for and clean winter boots:
- Always use a brush specially designed for different leathers to remove dirt on winter boots (this is also the case for the maintenance of Sorel boots in waterproof leather or nubuck).
- Promptly clean calcium stains to prevent them from settling deeply into the fabric or leather of winter boots.
- Have a damp cloth near the front door to quickly clean winter boots every day when you get home.
- Place balls of newspaper inside winter boots before storing them for the summer. This will prevent the boots from deforming.