There is so much to do with flour!
We tend to naturally associate the word flour with cooking. Indeed, flour is a good ingredient that is very useful in the preparation of our dishes, but know that it also has other possible uses.
To find out more and to find out how to use flour effectively on a daily basis, here are 10 things to do with flour!
1. What to do with flour and water? Good Churros!
If you like to cook and like to eat good desserts then I have a very simple recipe for you… Churros!
Here are the ingredients for this recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable shortening or canola oil for the frying step.
There are several interesting variations for preparing churros. But if you really want to cook the best churros then go for it with Chef Ricardo’s recipe! You will find the rest of the ingredients as well as the preparation steps right here: Ricardo Cuisine.
2. Use flour to pluck down
This tip may seem somewhat surprising but the flour mixed with other ingredients to be very interesting for the hair removal of the down at the level of the mustache but also of the armpits. Here is how to achieve this homemade depilation with flour:
Mix in a bowl:
- 4 tablespoons wholemeal flour
- 20ml milk
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of turmeric
- 1 pinch of salt
How do we apply?
- Once all the ingredients are well mixed, just apply it to the down of the mustache or other parts of the body that you want to wax.
- The mixture must be left to act for several minutes, until it is completely dry.
- Once dry, just rub with your hands against the direction of the hair to remove the mixture.
As it is a natural way to remove hair, I recommend that you repeat this hair removal at least twice each week.
If you notice any redness or itching it is best not to repeat this trick.
3. A ton of flour-based desserts!
If you have a sweet tooth then why not cook up a new flour dessert recipe every week? Among the most popular desserts:
- Chômeur pudding, a Quebec classic
- Banana muffins and breads
- Dessert pancakes
- Soft cookies just the way we like them!
- The delicious brownies
To discover a thousand and one cooking recipes based on wheat, rice or rye flour, go to the Allrecipes website! In addition to desserts, you will find on this page of the site other recipes for cooking pizza dough, bread and pancake dough with flour as a base.
WHAT, you want even more flour recipes? So go to the recipe section on the ELLE website, you will discover classics but also very original recipes.
4. Thicken a sauce with flour
As you probably already know, it is possible to thicken a sauce with cornstarch to make it thicker, smoother, in short less liquid. But did you know that flour can also be used?
Be careful not to pour the water and flour too quickly because you risk having the opposite effect or even having a sauce that is much too thick!
- Fill a glass with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of flour
- Slowly pour the glass of water into your sauce, taking care to stir well with a wooden spoon.
A great trick to make with flour if you don’t have cornstarch on hand! So what are you waiting for to cook your good spagh sauce!
5. Brown your chicken with flour!
What could be more appetizing than a beautiful little chicken, well browned and well roasted, coming out of the oven like in restaurants! Well, there is a very simple trick to brown a chicken perfectly.
- Brush the chicken with butter before you start cooking
- Then sprinkle the whole chicken with a thin layer of flour
- Place the chicken on the center rack in the stove
At the end of the cooking you will have a magnificent golden and super well roasted chicken!
6. Food moth: Flour, nuts, powder…
Before you indulge in your recipes, it is important to talk about the famous food moths! Did you know that food moths and particularly the Indian moth are very common in Quebec and elsewhere in the world? Flour is unfortunately one of the favorite foods of this food moth, hence the importance of being careful with the flour in your pantry.
Here are some foods that food moths love:
- The cereals
- powdered milk
- Nuts and dried fruits
- Cocoa and other dry foods in the pantry.
The only way to prevent flour moths is to seal the flour you just bought at the grocery store in an airtight jar as soon as you get home. The same goes for the other foods mentioned above. You also have to be careful with clothes moths, which can end up in your wardrobe.
What to do with flour you may also like:
Tip and trick with baking soda
Now that you know what to do with flour, how about checking out the best grandma’s tips, tricks, and remedies to make with baking soda?!
What to do with bananas?
Did you know that bananas are a really, really good food for your health? Come and discover all our tips and homemade recipes to make with bananas.