How to choose the best pastry robot?
Pastry enthusiasts will tell you that there is nothing more useful in the kitchen than a food processor when it comes time to make breads, cakes and other delicacies. Not only will it cut down on prep time, it can also save you a trip to the chiropractor after mixing and kneading the ingredients for your favorite bread recipe by hand!
But before buying a pastry robot, which can represent a certain investment, you will have to establish your needs in order to choose the right pastry robot for you.
To help you in your research, 10 Tips offers you a buying guide to help you choose the best pastry robot.
The guide to choosing the best food processor for dessert and bread:
1. The advantages of a pastry robot
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, you will find pleasure in creating breads and cakes using a pastry robot. This kitchen appliance has several advantages:
- Robot speed:The use of a pastry robot reduces the preparation of cakes and breads by several minutes because it takes care of mixing and kneading.
- Ease of use:No need to stir by hand for long minutes, or constantly whisk egg whites to make them stiff. Just pour in your ingredients and let it go.
- Simplicity of the food processor:Unlike some other kitchen appliances, using the food processor is very simple. We attach the utensil we need and press the start button.
- Versatility and function:Pizza dough, chocolate mousse, bread or cake, the possible uses are almost endless.
Did you know that we also have a site dedicated to Stand Mixers? So if you are looking for a complete comparison with recipes, reviews and photos of mixers and pastry robots, it’s here: Best stand mixer.
2. Features to check before choosing a food processor
There is a very wide variety of models of pastry robots and at all prices. Before deciding on a particular model, assess which features will be most suitable for you:
- The base material:Food processors are available in plastic or metal. The former are obviously less expensive but also less resistant. On the other hand, a plastic stand mixer would be a good choice if you only plan to use it a few times a year.
- The capacity and material of the bowl:The capacity of the bowl, depending on the model, varies from 3 to 5.5 liters. For normal use, it is suggested to choose a bowl that can hold at least 4 liters. Prefer a stainless steel bowl which will be more durable than a plastic bowl.
- Motor power:In order to be able to enjoy your device for a long time and to obtain satisfactory results, it is advisable to choose a pastry robot with a motor of at least 500 watts. However, the manufacturer KitchenAid has developed a technology to multiply by 5 the force of some of its 300 watt motors, resulting in a force of 1500 watts!
- The accessories provided:Most stand mixer makers include 3 basic tools: the whisk, the sheet and the hook. The whisk will allow you to whisk egg whites, create mousse, etc. Instead, the sheet will be used to obtain a creamy, lump-free cake batter. For its part, the hook will be useful for kneading bread dough. These are the 3 most useful accessories, so be sure to choose a model that includes them.
3. Multifunction robots
You will also find multifunction robots on the market that allow you to perform several tasks with a single device. This can be handy when you want to avoid being cluttered with small kitchen appliances.
Multifunction robots can perform all the tasks of a pastry robot, but in addition, it will allow you to chop, grate, extract the juice of citrus fruits and many others.
You should know that some of these functions are optional and you will have to buy the accessories separately.
4. The price of a food processor
The price range of food processors is very wide, ranging from as low as $70 to over $500. Of course, you can’t expect great quality in a device costing less than $100, but that’s where your priorities will come into play.
If you don’t plan to use your food processor regularly, or if it’s mainly for making desserts like mousses or meringues, you won’t need a device that costs $500. On the other hand, it may be worth investing in a better food processor if you are passionate about cooking and intend to use it regularly.
The prices for multifunction robots are substantially the same, but you should know that many of the accessories for these devices are sold separately, quickly increasing the bill.
5. Some models of pastry robots
To help you choose the best food processor for your needs, we present some popular models:
KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer:
With its retro yet timeless look, it cuts a fine figure on our kitchen counters. This very popular tilt-head model is sold with a 4.8 liter stainless steel bowl, a whisk, a sheet and a kneading hook.
Kenwood multifunction pastry robot:
This multifunction pastry robot with a modern look is offered with a stainless steel bowl with a capacity of 5 litres. It offers a powerful 1000 watt motor, basic baking accessories and a stainless steel mixer.
Bosch food processor, model MUM54A00:
With a power of 900 watts, this pastry robot made of stainless steel is sold with a bowl that can hold 3.9 liters as well as basic baking accessories.
Moulinex Master Chef Gourmet Stand Mixer:
This modern-looking food processor with a 900-watt motor includes basic baking accessories as well as a glass blender and a grating and slicing attachment. Its stainless steel bowl can hold up to 4.6 litres.
Now how about making your own bread yeast? Here are some tips and homemade recipes: Make your own baker’s yeast.