Why and how to clean hairbrushes?
As with other hair accessories, it is important to clean and maintain your hairbrush well to avoid the accumulation of hair and prevent the formation of bacteria.
Here are tips and tricks for properly washing hair combs and brushes.
1. Why clean your hairbrush?
As the brush is an accessory used every day on your hair and often on damp hair, it is important to clean it regularly.
Here is what is found on a brush and a hair comb:
- dead hair.
- dead skin.
- residue and other dirt.
- thousands of bacteria.
- and even mushrooms.
When to wash your hairbrush?
It is important to clean combs and hairbrushes at least once a week. Especially if you’re used to losing your hair or if you brush your hair out of the shower.
So to keep beautiful hair and a healthy scalp free from bacteria, take the time to wash your brushes and combs!
2. Clean a hairbrush with soapy water
If you get into the habit of regularly washing your hairbrushes then soapy water is good enough as a tip. Here’s how:
- Start by removing all hair from on the hairbrush or comb.
- Add mild liquid soap to lukewarm water and clean the brush with this solution.
- Then dry the brush with the hair dryer set at low temperature.
3. Soak the hairbrush in water and baking soda
The baking soda trick can also be used to wash brushes and hair combs.
- Fill a container with hot water and add 5 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix well and soak the brush or comb for several hours.
- Rinse and then dry the brush with the hair dryer to finish.
4. Wash the brush with white vinegar
Similar to the previous tip, you can also clean brushes and combs with white vinegar.
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Pour an equal amount of white vinegar and hot water into a container.
- Soak the hairbrush overnight.
- The next morning, rinse with lukewarm water and dry the brush to finish.
Of course, if your hairbrush is made of wood, you should not soak it in a water-based solution for hours, because you risk damaging the wood.
Instead, prefer a simple quick cleaning with shampoo or mild hand soap.
- Mix a little water with a little liquid shampoo and scrub the hairbrush.
- Rinse and dry the brush quickly to avoid discoloring or damaging the wood.
You can also use an old toothbrush to disinfect and thoroughly clean your wooden brush. Just use the solution given above.
If you have a boar bristle hairbrush then you have to be a little more careful not to damage the bristles and the wood.
Here are the steps to clean it properly:
- Take another bristle brush and scrub them together to remove as much hair and residue as possible.
- Add some mild shampoo to lukewarm water and soak the brush for a few minutes.
- Use your fingers while soaking to remove and clean boar bristles.